I'm grateful to the editors who have published my work. Support literary magazines and local bookstores. Read voraciously.
Fiction and Essays
- [PANK]: "Ways to Swim"
- Matchbook Literary Magazine: "The Window"
- The Other Room Journal: "That Year"
- Drunken Boat: "Everyone's Place"
- Eunoia Review: "Thief of Your Comfort"
- Revolution House: "En Dedans"
- Atticus Review: "Three Memories of Which I Am Fairly Certain"
- Fwriction Review: "Preparation" (an excerpt from The Fabulists)
- Blue Lake Review: "Lulworth"
- The Great American Lit Mag: "when spring arrives"
- McSweeney's Internet Tendency: "Dante and Virgil Go Grocery Shopping"
- Prick of the Spindle: "A Theory of Mine"
- Arcadia Magazine: "Wrapping Paper" **nominated for The Pushcart Prize
- [PANK] Magazine: Author Interview
- Ploughshares: "Literary Boroughs--Asheville, NC"
- The Daily Muse: "Five Career Lessons I Learned As a Circus Performer"
- Prime Number Magazine: "Before and After"
- The New York Times: "Giving Up a 3-D Printed Prosthetic for a Different Vision of Perfect"
- Brain, Child Magazine: "The Other Man"
- The Millions, "Nine Modern Literary Letter Collections For The Curious Reader"
"Thief of Your Comfort," Rozlyn: Short Stories by Women Writers (Rozlyn Press, 2015)
Yours Truly: Craft Lessons from Letters
A monthly column I wrote for Arcadia Magazine's Online Sundries. Each column examines an author's collected correspondence and extracts tips and insight for contemporary writers.
- Your Ever-Loving Monster Child (Truman Capote)
- A Bewildering and Stupendous Dream (John Cheever)
- The Unerring Taste (Alice B. Toklas)
- Coupla Fine Fellows (Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg)
- Be Anything But an Architect (Kurt Vonnegut)
The Dirty Spoon: Food Culture
As Editor-at-Large for Dirty Spoon, a blog on food culture known for its multi-chapter essays and original comics, I occasionally write the shorter essay between our featured writers' longer works.
- The Fabulists: Novel. A disfigured cemetery groundskeeper desperate for friendship strikes a deal with a middle school student assigned to him for a local history report. But their unlikely friendship could have dire consequences on the people closest to them.
- Aflame: Memoir-in-essays about my years spent in a fire circus.
- The Coyote Fields: Novel.
- Thief of Your Comfort: Collected Stories. Literary fiction.