This is for both new and established writers who may or may not be familiar with the agent querying process.
Write Your Best Agent Query Letter
So you're ready to start querying your novel, short story collection, or nonfiction book but the idea of catching an agent’s attention in one page or less intimidates you...
...or perhaps you started querying agents but no one is responding to your query letter or requesting pages.
During this one-day workshop, we’ll examine the elements of a successful query, review examples of query letters that landed agents, and write a query letter of your own.
Bring your current query letter if you have one and you’ll receive feedback in real time in the class by me. (This feedback can be given during class, or if you’re feeling shy, you’ll receive feedback from me after the workshop.)
This workshop includes:
- An engaging walk-through lecture with information about how to write a query letter, standard guidelines, query do’s and don’ts, where to find agents, how to research them, and what to ask them once you get one on the phone.
- Worksheets to help you build out the blocks of your query letter.
- How to create an easy spreadsheet to keep track of your agent outreach efforts
- A Q&A discussion
- 1 query critique from me during workshop and 1 follow up feedback session after applying the initial recommendations (optional)
- A positive, confidential, and proactive environment that will leave you feeling confident in taking your writing career to its next stage
Part 1 of the Business of Writing 4-Part Series
$35 // this workshop only
$125 // package rate for all four workshops (10 hours of writing career advice)
Everything You Need To Know
This 2 1/2 hour workshop takes place at the comfortable and crafty bungalow, Flatiron Writers Room, in West Asheville.
Limited off-street parking is available. You can also park on Covington Street or across the street in the gravel parking lot. Please do not park at UpCountry's Brewing parking lot next door!
Wheelchair accessibility is available. Please email me if you need other accessibility needs met prior to the class.
Entrance is the front door. Please feel free to arrive between 6:15-6:30pm, relax and get settled. We will have water, hot tea, and coffee available. We will take a stretch break during the workshop, and you'll have the option to stand up and move around whenever you like.
Please bring: an existing query letter if you have one! Or, bring a pad of paper, a pencil or pen, a light shawl or jacket to make sure you're comfortable. Cell phones must be turned to "silent" mode. Laptops or tablets are optional.
Bring your questions! This is an interactive, dynamic workshop, so don't be shy to ask questions.